geotechnerd

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Luxembourg

Luxembourg City was absolutely fabulous (although not in the manner of the tv show). The modern city is what has become of the medieval fortress founded in 900 and something A.D. It is nestled (excuse the cliche) amougst the forests of central Europe with a deep ravine on one side where two rivers meet and rolling hills on the other. It is both a beautiful and remarkable place as it must of been very easy to defend in the past.

Luxembourg has succesfully preserved many of its ancient buildings and almost all of the new buildings in the centre of town have been built in the same character. The effect, especially on a fine summer's day, is magnificent and has created the most pictuesque location I have ever visited. I've included only a few of the many photos I've taken and they really don't do it justice. If you have not already been here then no trip to Europe would be complete without a stop here.

The first photo is of the Dukal Palace (which I am taking to mean that, technically, Luxembourg is a Duchy and not a country). Whilst this is a very flambouyant building it is the combination of all the buildings, rather than any one or two individually, that makes Luxembourg so nice.
This next photo is of one of the views looking over the ravine. It's the only decent photo that proves I was actually there!The third photo is of inside the catherdral. Having a lovely old catherdral is pretty much compulsory in any decent European city.
This last picture is my favourite view looking out over the river and at a couple of the bridges crossing the ravine.

3 Comments:

  • I drove through Luxembourg in 1974. I don't remember a ravine. In fact all I can recall clearly is that we were waved on at the border without actually stopping the car!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2006 11:54 pm  

  • I see that you were there, but where's the proof that Theo the bear was there? Ay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 19, 2006 4:17 pm  

  • It sounds as though Luxembourg might need to do on my 'to do' list!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2006 5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home