geotechnerd

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The World Cup Final and Berlin

Upon my return to Berlin I stayed at the best youth hostel ever! It's called 'The Circus' and has breakfast until 1pm, a bar with a big screen for the World Cup, genuine English speakers at the 24 hour reception, free wireless internet and swipe card access to all rooms! Oh, and, no, I wasn't paid to say that =)

I met up with Anna Jackson (first photo), an old school friend of my sister's, and her boyfriend whilst I was there. They were great to hang out with and it was them that I went to watch the World Cup Final.
We were at a beer garden where I had wheat beer and sausages - very German! The game itself was fantastic with some very passionate (or possibly just drunk) people in the crowd making a great atmosphere. I had a fantastic evening anyway especially since I was supporting Italy on the night (for those of you who are ignorant on the subject, Italy beat France on penalties after a 1-1 draw).
I also tried a 'Berliner Weisser' whilst I was there which claims to be a traditional Berlin beer drink. It would of been rude not too! However, it involves mixing beer with a green sunstance of unknown origin to create an.....odd......fizzy beverage. I suggest you try it. But I doubt you'll need to try it more than once. I also met a group of four Americans of a similar age staying at the hostel and hung out with them for a bit resulting in me going to Amsterdam with them for a couple of days rather than direct to Copenhagen as was the original plan.

2 Comments:

  • Is that Anna Jackson in the first photo? If so, my memory of her needs adjusting.

    The green beer looks intriguing. Is it anything like spirulina?

    Keep the travel notes coming.
    Love, Dad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 10, 2006 10:01 pm  

  • Would HAVE, you fool, not would "of"
    *shudder*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 11, 2006 3:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home