geotechnerd

Monday, October 18, 2004

Now to actually say stuff

I've kinda got the hang of using this thing now and thought that I would start by making an "official" statement about what I'm doing next year.

Next year I will be in Hamilton aka Hamiltron (City of the Future) aka H-town aka Hamvegas aka The Piggery aka Hamtown aka Hamulon (feel free to suggest any other interesting nicknames). My job will be earning me an infinite amount more money than I am currently (i.e. I will actually be earning money) as I start as a Graduate Geotechnical Engineer (hence the name of this blog - geotechnerd). The job will be working for a firm called MWH (Montgomery Watson Harza) who are a big multinational company (probably horribly capitalist!). The first question I usually get now is: "Why on earth would a big multinational company have an office in Hamtown?" Which is a valid point, the answer being that MWH brought out a smaller NZ firm which has tonnes of offices all around the country (including Balclutha where Adam worked). If, for some reason you what to know more, try www.mwhglobal.co.nz or www.mwhglobal.com


This is an in-situ soil testing device that I will probably be using next year.

The other major question that I'll endeavor to answer before some else asks is: "Why on earth do you want to more to Hamtown?" Well, to be honest I wouldn't want to if it wasn't that the job on offer is really awesome. I mean, I'm from Auckland, and I've never been there before (other than driving straight through when we missed the bypass once) - there just ain't nothin' there! The reasons why I took the job, rather than one in Auckland, are numerous. Firstly, I'll be working under MWH's NZ expert in geotechnical engineering, so it'll be great for my career. I'll also be spending about 40% of my time actually out there on-site (not to much desk work), I should be flown around the country several times a year to various locations to do small geotech jobs all around the country. The other major factor is that I've talked to a classmate who worked there last summer and he was fully complementary about the office and staff etc. As were one or two other people so I think that I'll really enjoy working there. Finally, kinda grasping at straws here, is that accommodation is cheap and the traffic actually moves! (Sorry to burn Auckland there, but it was a major detractor in potentially returning to The City of Sails. )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home